Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Spaghetti Run

This year I've had a few students on the cross-country team who keep inviting me to work out with them. I've done it a few times and I have to say, even though I run on the treadmill everyday, I am out of shape. They leave me in the dust. They've been begging me to run in the Spaghetti Run this year. It's the annual fund raiser for their team.
Well, I agreed and so I competed in my first race on the 5th of Sep
tember. It was a 5K or about 3.2 miles for those of you who hate the metric system. (You know metric is really easier if you'd just accept it.) I ran against a few other adults and the cross-country teams from all over the slope. Considering it was my first race and I was running against high school runners, I think that placing
22nd was pretty good. That was out of just over 50 people, so I'm right in the middle. Next time though, my goal is to break 30 min.


The runners at the beginning of the race. I'm the bright yellow sweatshirt in the back.

Here are a few of the cross-country team. Many former and current students.
Aaron (The winner of the race. Too old to be one of mine.)



Nasuayaaq
(Try saying that one.)







Flora
(Fastest girl on the team. Also the one who keeps bugging me about running with them)



Eric
(A student from my days back in Nuiqsut)


Overall, it was a really good time and we had good spaghetti and stuff to eat after.

1 comment:

annette gillis said...

Wow, I am so envious. I've always wanted to run in a run. I shouldn't have waited so long. I'm glad that you didn't!